Friday, April 25, 2008

My baby turned 18



















Not sure how that is possible He was a little boy just the other day. So I was talking to a friend about our kids and she ask if it makes me sad that Tony has autism and epilepsy. No it really doesn't. This seems odd to people. I don't remember ever hitting the real "Why him" type of reaction to the diagnosis. Tony is just Tony. Oh there were bad days, days when it was just easier to go home or not go somewhere. My issues were (are) mainly with his super busy and noisy activity level. I am very blessed to have family and friends that understand Tony.

I do try, not always successfully, to not take Tony places that he won't be comfortable or where I know that he won't be able to behave in an acceptable way. If he goes to visit in a home he feels that he can make himself right at home, raid the fridge, sort all the toys, stuff like that. If he will have to sit still and visit, it isn't going to happen and I know this, so I just don't do stuff like that when Tony is with me. In stores he is pretty good, except he knows which stores have snacks he likes and it will be a much better shopping trip if we just get some tater wedges first. I look at it like most kids get a snack-treat at the checkout he just gets his first.

He is a happy young man. In his world most things are good. He doesn't have a car, girlfriend, cellphone or surf the internet this is good for me I have enough grey hair as it is with out these things.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures I don't have many on this computer so the choice was limited. The one with the Tonka truck was taken in Salt Lake City when we were staying with Uncle Mike and Aunt Glenda while Primary Childrens Hospital was trying to find out why he had started to have seizures and which meds would help control them. The other pictures are last year mostly.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I remember helping babysit little Tony, I think I was staying with them briefly too. He sure grew up fast! Such a handsome young man!